Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Vulnerability of Children to Diseases

Vulnerability of Children to Diseases

We often think that when children are given the best care that they need, they are no longer susceptible to diseases and infections. But it's not, because children are easily infected due to their vulnerability especially in terms of their immune system.

Let me take my daughter for instance. She is really choosy when it comes to food. But one day when we arrived from the farm, she got a stomach ache which I thought was just normal because of the fruits that we have eaten there. I gave her a cup of tea to cleanse her stomach from any undigested foods. Yet, it did not soothe the ache. It worsen. On the second day, I brought her in a hospital for check-up. The doctor told me that she just need to take some medicines and a booster shoot for her stomach pains. After 24 hours of medication. She got better.

Since she was absent from class for almost 3 days, I let her went to school the next morning. But her teacher advised her to get home and be confined to a hospital because she vomitted in school. I was really shocked because I thought she was already well.

So, I confined her in a private hospital. She underwent a series of tests: x-rays, stool and urine test and also a blood test. It was from her blood sample that the pediatrician detected her infection or contamination to typhoid fever. According to the doctor, my daughter had eaten a human manure. I was really confused. Where did she eat that? The only thing that I remembered her eating was the ripe banana in the farm that could be the possible cause of her stomach ache and nothing more. When the doctor asked my daughter what did she eat, she said that she had eaten hot cake in school. After that she threw up.

My God! All along I was thinking that it was my fault that she got ill. It was really far from my imagination that she would contact typhoid fever in school because as what I have understood, this type of illness was usually accompanied with severe fever. In her case, she even have a normal temperature except for stomach ache and frequent vomitting.

You see how vulnerable children are! No matter how we take care of them, still they are easily infected with diseases that are really unexpected and unimaginable especially if they have no symptoms at all.

I guess, the best thing that we can do for our children is to have them take multivitamins everyday in order to strengthen their immune systems.

This article presents the vulnerability of our children to diseases no matter how we take good care of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment